Saturday, November 11, 2006

Squawker Cross

Just got back from the Colorado State Championships hosted by Fort Lewis Cycling. The race went well you never know how it will all come together. Over the last week and half we have had to change to course outline 3 times due to the regional soccer game that was taking place today on campus. Yesterday I helped set up the course for about two hours. We had a group of 20 so it came together pretty fast. This was the 1st real cross race we have had in d-town. We have training race every weekend in the fall but this was the real deal. After setting up the course I got roped into picking up towle @ the airport. Today the race went well I think we had around 150 competitors. In the elite men we had 25 on the start. The most exciting part of the race was the beer tent. I think every cross race should have a beer tent just b/c it get the crowd into it. The crowd makes the race it doesn't matter how excellent the course is without a good crowd the race just isn't the same. I had my 1st hole shot of the year today. I was on the front for the 1st 3 laps just trying to keep the pace high. Coming through the start/finish to begin lap for there where about 4 attacks coming from Todd, Shriver, Joey T, and I. Todd and Shriver ended up getting off and left me chasing with a small gap over Joey. Later on in the race todd broke his chain guard and that left me in 2nd chasing shriver until i proceeded two lay it down twice on the following lap. Joey caught back onto me after my fall and we rode together until Todd came through and I did all i could to hang on. Going into the last lap I took one pull to try to help todd catch shriver but it was to late shriver took the win with todd 10 sec back and I was maybe 5 sec off shriver. After the race I helped with course take down and headed home it is sure nice when u just have to ride down a hill to get home instead of driving 5 hours or having to get on a plane the following morning. Pics coming soon....

T WELLS

No comments:


TEAM CLIF BAR is working to fight climate change