CLIF BAR Development Cyclo-Cross Team Enters Sixth Season, Focusing on Climate Change
Boulder, Colorado, September, 9 2009—The CLIF BAR Development Cyclo-Cross Team is set to begin its sixth season this month, looking to build not only on its past racing success but to continue to raise awareness about important environmental issues.
This season’s focus on climate change lines up perfectly with the timing of ‘cross season:
- CLIF BAR’s Start Global Cooling campaign is always promoted through the Team and at the US Gran Prix of Cyclo-Cross Series;
- 350.org is working to unite the public, media, and our political leaders behind the goal of reducing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to 350 ppm, harnessing the power of the Internet to coordinate a planetary day of action on October 24;
- Brighter Planet will be helping the CLIF BAR Team and the cycling community measure their carbon footprint, discover simple ways to reduce it, track their progress, and share their experiences;
- ClimateCounts.org, a collaborative effort to bring consumers and companies together in the fight against global climate change, will be working with the CLIF BAR Team and its sponsors;
- During the U.S. Cyclo-Cross National Championships, the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark is taking place.
Team members will be learning, helping create awareness in the cycling community and their own communities and schools, and taking action themselves.
The CLIF BAR Development Team features an exciting roster of top young cyclo-crossers, led by first-year Elite Colin Cares and veteran Under-23 racer Alex Howes, who has been with the program since its first year in 2004. The team also has several returning and first-year Under-23 riders, and many promising Juniors ranging from 14 to 18 years old.
The team is looking forward to a strong season, following many podium appearances at the 2008 Cyclo-Cross Nationals last December and a summer filled with National Championship medals and top results in road, track, and mountain bike races.
For the third year, the CLIF BAR Development Team will be riding the Salsa Chili Con Crosso, with SRAM drivetrain, Chris King headsets, Crank Brothers pedals, TRP brakes, fi’zi:k saddles, and MAVIC wheels. Pedro’s will keep the team rolling with race support, tools, and bike care products. Pearl Izumi and Patagonia will outfit the team on and off the bike.
CLIF BAR Development Team riders will be focusing on the US Gran Prix Series, Boulder Racing Series, New England Championship Series, Bay Area Super Prestige Series, and the New York State Series – before ending the season with the US Nationals.
You can keep up with what the kids on the team are up to, and learn more about how you can take action in the fight against climate change at the team’s blog:
Andrew Barker, U23 - Boulder, CO
Alex Howes, U23 - Boulder, CO
Bjorn Fox, Jr – Stinson Beach, CA
Cody Cox, U23 – Golden, CO
Colin Cares, Elite – Colorado Springs, CO
Conor Mullervy, U23 – Grand Junction, CO
Curtis White, Jr – Delanson, NY
Danny Hiller, Jr – Boulder, CO
David Kessler, Jr – Littleton, CO
Kevin Mullervy, U23 – Grand Junction, CO
Mitchell Hoke, U23 – Colorado Springs, CO
Nate Morse, Jr – Cohasset, MA
Robin Eckmann, Jr – Boulder, CO
Russell Finsterwald, U23 – Colorado Springs, CO
Yannick Eckmann, Jr – Boulder, CO
Zack Gould, Jr – Boulder, CO
Zane Godby, Jr – Louisville, CO
2009 CLIF BAR Development Cyclo-Cross Team Sponsors:
CLIF BAR & CLIF SHOT
Salsa bikes, bars, stems, seatposts
Pedro’s bike care and tools
SRAM drivetrain components
Pearl Izumi cycling clothing, shoes, and accessories
Crank Brothers pedals
Chris King headsets
fi’zi:k saddles and bar tape
Cyclocrossworld.com tires and accessories
Cycle-Smart, Solutions for Cycling
Boulder Cycle Sport