Summerhill sprints to USGP sweep
CLIF BAR kids clinic, USGP Zero Waste initiative, and team bus
October 27-28, 2007 – Louisville, KY – The CLIF BAR Development Cyclo-
Cross Team kicked off the US Gran Prix of Cyclo-Cross Series this past
weekend at the Papa John’s Derby City Cup in Louisville, KY.
The CLIF BAR team’s development and sustainability mission was
prominently on display in the burgeoning Kentucky ‘cross scene, and it was a
real treat to receive such a wonderful welcome and see all the enthusiasm
and potential there in Louisville.
Here’s a quick summary of the weekend’s highlights:
- Friday’s CLIF BAR kids ‘cross clinic was a great success, with 25 young
riders joining CLIF BAR Development Team’s Danny Summerhill and Team
CLIF BAR’s Troy Wells for an hour of instruction.
- Summerhill won two exciting sprint finishes over strong Under-23
competitors to take possession of the USGP Series leader’s jersey (he
finished 14th and 15th overall in the Elites – pretty good for an 18-yr old!)
- Robin Eckmann rode to a strong win in Sunday’s Junior 15-16 race.
- We ran our first-ever Zero Waste event outside of Boulder, and Louisville
really embraced the idea and helped us achieve a 75% diversion rate
(meaning only 25% of the total waste generated ended up in the landfill).
Thanks to the US Gran Prix organizers, Crank Brothers and Eco-Cycle for
making the entire USGP Series Zero Waste.
- Thanks to Stonyfield Farm, the team rolled out its new team bus, a green
biodiesel/waste vegetable oil-powered school bus. The full scoop on the bus
will be coming soon!