Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wondering what Andrew has been up to?


Hey there,
I hope that everybody is off to a good cross season already. I have been sitting out of the racing scene recently due to commitments with running cross country at my school, but as that season is coming to a close I figured I’d write a little update on what I’ve been up to and my plans for cross.

Although I’ve most likely lost a lot of bike fitness and missed out on an opportunity to go to Europe w/ the national team this fall, deciding to run cross country turned out to be excellent. I got a great break from bike racing to refresh my mind and an outlet in which to enjoy my senior year at high school a bit more. Although the season has been mostly fun, 5K’s and track workouts never fail to surprise me with the incredible pain involved and the ability to mentally suffer. In a way I think I have worked on expanding my pain threshold to be a better bike racer, while not riding much at all. Funny isn’t it? After our state championships meet next Saturday up in Ft. Collins I will be back on the bike and gearing up towards getting in decent shape for cross by nationals.

My aim for this cross season is to keep it fun, and work to being competitive for nationals. If all goes well, I would love the opportunity to go over to Europe for the first time and do the Holiday cross camp in Belgium.

On a more community-servicy note, a club at our school has been working to raise money to help a project that works to better water purification in Sudan. It is truly amazing how we take clean water for granted, and yet so much of the world still lives with primitive water supplies. Some other running buddies and I have been work’n the good ole lemonade stand after school to bring in the dough. So far we have raised a decent amount of cash while supplying the D’Evelyn Jr./Sr. High community with a tasty beverage. Also my brother and I have started to collect some canned food around the neighborhood for an organization that donates to homeless/struggling families.

See you at the races…soon,
Andrew

No comments:


TEAM CLIF BAR is working to fight climate change